Last updated 4/23/2018. For more information, visit our Montana State Page.
In order to legally open and operate a medical marijuana dispensary in Montana, you must first obtain a medical marijuana provider or infused-product provider license from the state.
On April 2, 2018, the Montana Department of Health and Human Services made the online registration system for medical marijuana business licensing available, otherwise known as Complia. The state’s Seed-to-Sale tracking system, METRC, was launched on the same day.
Step One: Apply for a Montana Medical Marijuana Provider License
A medical marijuana provider license is required to cultivate and sell medical marijuana to registered cardholders.
A medical marijuana-infused product provider license is required to cultivate, manufacture and provide marijuana-infused products for a registered cardholder.
A licensed provider or marijuana-infused products provider may:
- have up to 50 square feet of canopy space for each registered cardholder they serve; and may possess up to 4 mature plants, 12 seedlings, and 1 ounce of usable marijuana for each registered cardholder who has named the person as the registered cardholder’s provider.
- in accordance with rules adopted by the department:
- operate dispensaries; and
- engage in chemical manufacturing;
- employ employees to cultivate marijuana, manufacture marijuana concentrates and marijuana-infused products, and dispense and transport marijuana and marijuana-infused products; and
- provide a small amount of marijuana or marijuana-infused products cultivated or manufactured on the registered premises to a licensed testing laboratory or the department of agriculture
Application Requirements for Provider / Infused-Products Provider:
- A provider must be a Montana resident and pass a fingerprint and background check.
- A provider with 10 or fewer registered cardholders will pay an application fee of $1,000.
- A provider with 11 to 49 registered cardholders will pay an application fee of $2,500.
- A provider with 50 or more registered cardholders will pay an application fee of $5,000.
Step Two: Apply for a Montana Medical Marijuana Dispensary License
A dispensary license is required to have premises from which a provider or marijuana-infused products provider is approved by the department to dispense marijuana or marijuana-infused products to a registered cardholder.
Local governments are allowed to ban or allow providers from operating dispensaries or as a storefront business.
Application Requirements for a Montana Medical Marijuana Dispensary:
- A dispensary applicant will pay an application fee of $500.
The application for a Montana Medical Marijuana Dispensary License requires specific business plans to be included. Draft the following required plans with our templates:
- Business & Operations Plan Template
- Financial Plan Template
- Inventory Control Plan Template
- Patient Education Plan Template
- Patient Recordkeeping Plan Template
- Security Plan Template
- Staffing Plan Template
To make the application process easier for you, we’ve put together a Montana Business Plan Package which includes templates for all of the required business plans for a dispensary license.